Take Cover!…………………..

Posted: August 17, 2016 in Cities Of Death, terrain

Any one who has followed this blog for sometime, will know that I picked up the Secret Weapon Tablescape tiles a few years back via their Kick starter. Since I received them, I have played a fair few games on them.

However one thing I have not done is paint them. I have many many times thought about it, however I have never got round to it for one reason or another.

However the other day while setting up a game I decided that it was time to give them a lick of paint. But before I even put any paint on the tiles I decided to convert a few of them to give me a little more variation.

If you want to have a look at the tiles look here

Part 1 and here Part 4.

The first thing I did was sort out what I have, and starting with the “damaged” tiles I had the following.

Foundation “A” large rubble pile x 2

Foundation “B” Rubble filled hole x 4

Foundation “C” Cracked pavement x 4

Straight “A” Rubble both Sides x 1

Straight “B” Damaged Pavements x 2

Straight “C” Craters on road and pavement x 3

“T” Junction Raised road x 1

“X” Junction craters x 3

Moving on to the “clean” tiles, I have

Foundation “D” Paved x 4

Foundation “E” Smooth  x 4

Straight “D” Man hole in road x 3

Straight “E” Grills on pavement x 2

“T” Junction x 2

“X” Junction x 3

“Grav” Plate x  1

Security Barrier x 1

So in total I have 40 tiles of which I use at most 20 (for a 5ft x 4ft area). Out of these I use maybe 1 out of the 6 “X” junctions, while both the “Grav” plate and the Security Barrier have never been used. This Gives me 5 tiles to work with ( I will keep 1 of each “X” junction and the barrier as they are).

Now while Mr Justin at Secret Weapon did an excellent job designing the tiles, I have always wondered why their were no corners or dead end tiles. There have been many times when I have set up the tiles and one or the other would have been ideal! So with this in mind I set about trying to figure out the best way to go about converting them up.

First up is the “Dead end” tile

I used Evergreen strip styrene 148 (.040 x .188″ 1.0 x 4.8mm) and 196 (.188 x.188″ 4.8 x 4.8mm) to recreate the curb stones between the pavements. I then lined up the “new” curb with a foundation tile and made a series of shallow cuts, which were then filed with a needle file to create the individual curb stones. For the lower section I cut each one slightly undersized to create the gaps in between them.

Next we have some Loading bays.

This one can only be described as a “moment of Madness”. As I said I have only ever used at most 1 “X” junction and the chances of me using 6 are a million to one!  This one started life as the prototype corner, however I glued the curb stones along the wrong edge! (see the left picture, they were supposed to go along the bottom edge) However all was not lost, and now it is just a different type of corner. It was made in the same way as the dead end tile, but with the addition of a broken pipe in to one of the craters (allowing me to add some water effect).

Overall I am pleased with how they have both turned out, and while the glue dries on the two corners sections I can start thinking about colours!

Advertisements
Comments
  1. […] Take Cover!………………….. […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s